Cart and Bin Information for Apartments and Condos
If you live in or manage a residential complex (apartment or condominium) that has a shared garbage service, your property is considered a "Multi-Family" complex and recycling service must be available to all tenants. We have many programs and services to make it easy - at no extra cost! Here are some you can take advantage of today:
- Free reusable blue recycling totes (pictured) to store and carry plastic, glass, metal and paper recycling to the complex’s recycling collection site (blue bin or cart).
- Free in-home food scraps collection container to store and carry items to the complex's organics collection site (green bin or cart), upon the property manager’s request.
- On-call electronic-waste services.
- Free motor oil and filter recycling kits (request one through your property manager).
- Recycling educational services, including: waste assessments, educational materials, workshops, and move-in kits.
If your apartment building does not have recycling service, or does not have enough recycling service, contact Republic Services at (925) 685-4711. Tenants, managers or property owners may call, but the property owner must give final authorization for new or increased recycling services.
Ordinance 15-1 requires all businesses, commercial, industrial, and multi-family premises with more than 5 units located within our service area to either subscribe to a basic level of recycling service or self-haul all recyclable materials to a CCCSWA-approved recycling center. The service area includes Danville, Lafayette, Moraga, Orinda, Walnut Creek and unincorporated central County areas including Alamo, Diablo and Blackhawk.
Property managers/owners tips for a successful Multi-Family Recycling Program
- Post recycling reminders on solid waste enclosures.
- Give all tenants an annual participation reminder and thank-you.
- Give out new move-in kits for new tenants (Contact Republic Service for kit).
- Keep container collection areas clean and safe.
- Regularly check recycling containers just before your service day to make sure the program is being used correctly.
- Check garbage containers for recyclables. If residents are not recycling properly, issue reminders. Consider adding a recycling pledge to your lease. Remember, recycling is now the law!
See the Apartment & Condo Services Guide for more information.